Cyberpunk 2077 hits 13 million in sales despite refunds

CD Projekt Red announced that Cyberpunk 2077 was able to sell an estimated 13 million copies amid calls for refunds, as disclosed in an investor note posted last week.

In the investor note, posted on December 22, CD Projekt Red disclosed the total sales of the game from pre-orders and the first few weeks at launch, which amounted to 13 million copies globally. According to the reports, the 13 million copies also account for all the “refund-requests” through their “Help Me Refund” campaign.

Perhaps one of 2020’s biggest and most anticipated games, Cyberpunk 2077 has one of the most controversial launches in recent memory: a launch date that was postponed three times; a grand launch that was met with a barrage of complaints, bugs, glitches and errors; both Sony and Microsoft offering refunds in less than a week after launch; a plethora of memes all over social media; and a media frenzy that placed CD Projekt Red and Cyberpunk 2077 into the spotlight. All these within the first month of release of the game. (READ: Cyberpunk 2077 temporarily delisted from PSN, refunds available for PS4 players)

Prior to launch, reports have stated that Cyberpunk 2077 has already secured more than eight million pre-orders for the game, which, according to Polygon and the folks at CD Projekt, has “covered production costs and all of the company’s marketing and promotional costs for the game this year.” CD Projekt also mentioned that the preorder sales of the game were not too far out from both platforms, with PC holding 59 percent of the preorder sales while consoles owning the remaining 41 percent.

CD Projekt’s latest game has also set multiple records apart from the already massive launch sales. According to PC Gamer, Cyberpunk 2077 holds Steam’s record of most concurrent players in a singleplayer game, which peaked at 1,003,264—blowing out the previous record of 472,962 that was set by Bethesda’s Fallout 4. As a result, Cyberpunk 2077 was recently proclaimed by Valve as one of the top-selling games for 2020 in terms of gross revenue, joining titles such as Doom Eternal, Fall Guys, Red Dead Redemption II and Among Us in the platinum category.

Twitch figures, on the other hand, are also leaning toward Cyberpunk 2077 holding records in terms of viewership, with over a million concurrent viewers watching different streamers play the game.

With news of the disastrous launch and even an incoming class-action lawsuit, CD Projekt Red is poised to fix the game through a steady stream of updates and eventually break into the elusive list of the “50 Best-Selling Games of All Time.” The list includes The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, which is another game from CD Projekt Red.

Currently, Cyberpunk 2077 is six million copies away from breaking into the list and knocking out cult classic Super Mario Bros. 3 by Nintendo.

If you like reading our content, why not show your appreciation by treating us to a cup of coffee? (or two, if you’re feeling generous)



%d bloggers like this: